Commendations and Complaints
We dedicate ourselves to providing the best police service possible and we encourage you to let us know about the quality of service you receive. Our satisfaction survey provides you the opportunity to offer us advice on how we can continue to improve.
- We love hearing stories of extraordinary service provided by one of our team members. Commending the actions of someone is as simple as completing our commendation form. Verbal commendations may also be given to an on-duty supervisor. We appreciate you taking the time to share your story with us.
- If you believe the conduct of an employee was inappropriate, you may file a complaint through one of three methods: using our online form, completing our pdf form, or completing a paper complaint form which can be found at the UCI Police Department's front lobby. Verbal complaints may be given to an on-duty supervisor or by phone at (949) 824-5223. Anonymous complaints will also be accepted.
Complaints will result in an investigation, and complainants will be notified of the disposition.
Note: The average time it takes to process and investigate a complaint is between 3 and 6 months; however each case is unique.
Note: Only lists top allegation, complaint may include multiple allegations.
*Involved non-sworn police personnel (PSO/PSA/CSO or Professional Staff)
Affiliated: UCI Student, Staff, or Faculty.
Non-Affiliated: All other individuals.
Unfounded: When the investigation discloses that the alleged act(s) did not occur or did not involve Department personnel. Complaints, which are determined to be frivolous, will fall within the classification of unfounded.
Exonerated: When the investigation discloses that the alleged act occurred, but that the act was justified, lawful and/or proper.
Not Sustained: When the investigation discloses that, there is insufficient evidence to sustain the complaint or fully exonerate the employee.
Sustained: When the investigation discloses sufficient evidence to establish that the act occurred and that it constituted misconduct.
No Finding: The complainant failed to provide additional information needed to complete the investigation.
Complaint Withdrawn: The complainant affirmatively indicates the desire to withdraw their complaint.
Mediation: By mutual agreement with all involved parties the case was mediated and the complaint withdrawn.
Referred to Other Entity: The investigation determined that persons other than UC Irvine Police employees were involved or the investigation falls within the jurisdiction of the UCI Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversion (OEOD).
- Use of Force: Excessive or unnecessary force
- Racial Profiling: Officer contact based on race
- Performance: Failure to perform duties
- Conduct Unbecoming: Rude, discourteous, unprofessional behavior
- 4th Amendment: Unlawful search/seizure, illegal detention
- Criminal: Alleged criminal activity
- Harassment: Harassing behavior